Tuesday 10 February 2015

Cancerversary


Three years ago today I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer.  I believe the average life expectancy for breast cancer patients with metastases to an organ (or organs) is two to three years. So I don't know whether to be delighted or depressed.  I think I'll go for the middle way and settle for my usual frame of mind - discombobulated.

We marked the occasion in the traditional way by going to an oncology appointment only to find that the results of my CT scan haven't been reported yet.  To be fair this doesn't happen all that often and, in this case, we were forewarned.  Anyway, I remain on tenterhooks until I go back next week sometime to hear the results and find out if the current treatment, capecitabine and lapatinib, is working or not.  But just to keep me on my toes I'm also having a (planned) mammogram tomorrow so then I can add worrying about my remaining breast to the mix.

Blimey I sound glum.  I'm not, honest.  In fact on the way home from the hospital we sang 'Happy Cancerversary to you' in both the traditional and Stevie Wonder versions.  I know how to have a good time!

6 comments:

  1. aaah - I need to go to Specsavers....I can only see one bunny! Am I catching the discombobulating virus???? Eeek! (GailD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing my fingers, arms, legs, toes and everything til you bring the next update on the results. God bless. :-D Gail D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting - I have never had to prove I am not a robot before - but must admit it was a fairly simple test and quite painless - not sure how it knew the answer - but I am glad I passed the test. (Gail D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the robot stuff Gail, I can't work out how to turn it off! Am techno-idiot. Thanks for all the niceness xx

      Delete
  4. If you can only see one bunny you haven't drunk enough yet! That is my second favorite vodka. First is Zubrovka Bison grass. As above, I have all things crossed for good news. Hope to see you this spring too, either here or there! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am v impressed at myself for having fancy vodka in. Am now irritatingly smug 😄 cheers! Hope to see you soon xx

      Delete